Opportunities come in different shapes, forms and disguises. They present themselves in the strangest ways and sometimes the most dramatic or stressful circumstances and end up being a huge turning point in life.
I truly believe that everything in life can change with the correct mindset. When I was diagnosed I kept saying to myself “MS is an opportunity.” “MS is your OPPORTUNITY”. I thought to myself and realised that I was looking at this difficult time from a different perspective. So the most important thing I could do in that moment was to define and create my mindset.
But how do you just decide what is right for you? Start by defining YOUR VALUES. What is it really matters most to you? What motivates or drives you? What guides you? How would you spend your time if you could do whatever you want every single day for the rest of your life?
This got me self evaluating life never before. I started by highlighting the TOP 5 MOST IMPORTANT VALUES, the rules or non-rules I choose to guide me in life.
And so I began…
I then started to look in to what each of these looks like, what are the behaviour of these values?
- To respect myself from the inside out. To look after myself. My body, my mind and my general wellbeing.
- To find a sport, a practice, a physical activity that I ENJOY and exercises my body in the way it needs.
- To exercise my mind the way I exercise my body. Look after my mental health.
- To explore and discover. To travel.
- To Listen / Watch / See and Experience. To always learn more.
- Say yes to new opportunities. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Don’t be afraid to try new things.
- To be compassionate, considerate, nurturing and caring towards others and to myself.
- Talk less. Listen more.
- Show gratitude.
- Bend rather than break. Be dynamic and flexible.
- See the positives, the opportunities and the learnings in any situation.
- Know your strength. Don’t quit. Just keep going. “He who says he can, and he who says he can’t, are both usually right.”
- Enjoy life. Enjoy living. Live in the present moment for the present moment is all that is.
- Know what you love, what makes you happy and do MORE of it.
- Make good choices, for yourself. Not others.
These are my top 5 values that matter most to me and the way I live my life. This set of VALUES keeps me focused, keeps me true to myself and are the foundations to my MINDSET.
Have you tried building a Mindset based on your values? I would love to hear from anyone else’s experiences or views on this. How does your mindset affect you life?
Here are some examples of values to get you started…
Remember to also look at what those values look like to you. What behaviours do those values come with? Of course you can still go through life being Kind or Forgiving if you don’t pick those ones but here you are simply choosing your top 5 MOST IMPORTANT values.
Doing this exercise brought me so much clarity on what is really important to me in order to live my best life so I really hope this can help you in the same way.